Recipe by sofie-a-toast
Passed along to me by a family friend. This is equally good but very different with goat cheese or cheddar cheese.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I replaced chili powder with chipotle chili powder for extra pow! Fresh cilantro would have been good in these but I had no cilantro on hand unfortunately. Tested with cotija cheese and subbed cumin seeds for powder. Reviewed for Best of 2012.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 large or 2 small potatoes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 (8 -10 inch) tortillas
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Add the potatoes, oregano, chili, cumin and cayenne and cook, covered for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. When the potato is tender, add the salt and pepper to taste and take off the heat.
- Spread 1/4 of the filling and 1/4 of the cheese on half of each tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half to cover. Cook by lightly frying on each side until browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with salsa, avocado slices and sour cream.