Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This pie is so easy and so good! I got it from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook and I always double the recipe because it freezes beautifully.
- 1 frozen pie crust (or pastry dough recipe for a 9-inch dish)
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes, cooled slightly
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups non-dairy coffee creamer or 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended and there are no lumps.
- Pour into piecrust and sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 300.
- Bake for another 50 minutes or until the filling is firm.
Had two of my DGSs for Thanksgiving dinner and they each requested a differant pie. the 12yr old had heard this one mentioned in a song and it was his request. Therefore he made it all himself, followed the recipe exaclty (I should have noted the reivewer who said to use 3/4 cup, but was still good) topped it with whipped cream and it was wonderful and enjoyed by all.
I have made this many times and it is great. I have this cookbook and please note that the sugar should be 3/4 cup!!
So glad I came across this recipe online...my Fanny Farmer cookbook has disappeared somewhere in the last 6 yrs. I substituted the Rum with Creme de Cocoa or Kahlua, tastes just as fabulous.