Recipe by gailanng
Top Review by Baby Kato
These biscuits were the bomb. I knew I would like them and was not disappointed. We really enjoyed the spices in this delicious treat. The biscuits were quick and easy to make and they tasted even better the next day. Perfect served warm with butter and also just as wonderful toasted. Thank you so much for sharing gailann.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed (from fresh cooked not canned)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, allspice, cloves, and salt in a large bowl. Use the tips of your fingers to blend in the brown sugar.
- Cut in the chilled butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse, crumbly meal. Next, stir in the mashed sweet potatoes and knead until the dough just holds together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 1 minute, adding a little flour as necessary to incorporate all the ingredients. Do not overwork.
- Pat the dough in a 1/2-inch thick circle and let it rest, covered with a clean towel, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut out the biscuits with a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour. Do not twist the cutter; press down then lift. Gather the scraps, pat out again, and cut into biscuits. Arrange them about 3/4-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and brush the tops with milk. Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the biscuits on a rack.