Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from Paula Deen, play around with it some, and added my own concoction of a vanilla rum sauce- Mmmm. Now Paula makes them with giant marshmallow, I prefer the smaller ones (it's a little more work, but it's a better ratio of potato to marshmellow, and they're bite sized!) These are for those people with a bounce-me-off-the-wall-with-all-the-sugar-I-just-consumed sweet tooth. Not for the faint of heart. Blow away your in-laws during the Holidays with this gem. Or stab them with a toothpick, and you've got an awesome hors d'eurve on your hands.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 395.10 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml vanilla rum (or regular rum with a tbsp of vanilla extract)
- 118.29 ml heavy whipping cream
- 54.43 g butter
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 4.92 ml orange zest (optional)
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 473.18 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 32 miniature marshmallows, 1 per ball (about half a package)
- 118.29 ml pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bake the sweet potatoes with the skin ON (brush with oil, poke holes with a fork, and leave in the oven for about 45 minutes)
- Once they finish, peel and mash them. Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir in only 2/3 cup of brown sugar, all orange juice, all orange zest and all nutmeg.
- Place coconut in a food processor and leave on for about 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut, granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Press mashed potatoes around the marshmallow, creating a 1" in diameter ball. The easiest way is to roll it around using both hands. You'll be a pro in no time!
- Roll the balls in the coconut mixture and place in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, while those are cooking, make your drizzling/dipping sauce: In a big pan melt the remaining brown sugar (1 cup) and butter.
- Add rum and heavy cream.
- Put all pecans (optional) in the food processor for about a minute. Then add them to your sauce.
- When the sweet potato balls are done, gingerly drizzle the rum sauce on them, or place the sauce in a condiment cup to the side.