Recipe by Donna Matthews
After much experimentation with ingredients and ratios, this is my favorite sweet pickle relish. I usually can it when the burpless cukes from the garden get away from me.
Top Review by Darrell C.
Why doesn't anyone review the actual recipe?? Always I changed this and changed that.... well let me say this review the actual recipe. Did anyone try the recipe as was written?
- 946.36 ml cucumbers, deseeded and chopped
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml green bell pepper, chopped
- 236.59 ml red bell pepper, chopped
- 59.14 ml kosher salt
- 828.06 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml celery seed
- 14.79 ml mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- To deseed cucumbers, I cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with my finger.
- I chop the unpeeled cucumbers as well as the other vegetables with a Pampered Chef chopper.
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt over the chopped vegetables.
- Cover with cold water and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain vegetables well, then press out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large pot, combine sugar, vinegar and seeds.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, put into pint jars according to standard canning procedures.
- (Note: Although some of the brine needs to go in the jars, I use a slotted spoon to keep it from being too soupy.).
- Process in a hot water bath according to your altitude (10 minutes for up 50 1000 ft.).