Recipe by lazyme
This is from the Lodge at Koele, Lanai, Hawaii. It's a nice, refreshing salad. Time does not reflect chilling time.
Top Review by Geema
I'm in shock. My cucumber hating husband loved this salad which rates at least 5*'s in my book. Since there were just the two of us for lunch, I halved the recipe...but it still made more than enough for 6 servings of salad, since the dressing is quite thick and a little bit goes a long way. The only substitution I made was to use regular milk with a spoon of lemon juice to replace the buttermilk, and everything else was already on hand. Actually I wished I had just used a little more lime juice, since the addition of it in the dressing really gave it a spark. What makes this recipe so special is definitely the combination of fresh herbs and how delicious they taste with the onion and cucumber. I grated some fresh carrots on the salad for a bit of color, but sure do wish I wasn't out of those baby grape tomatoes, knowing they would be a great addition. We owe you thanks for a wonderful recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup crushed tomatoes in puree, canned
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives or 2 teaspoons green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 small maui onions or 1 small sweet white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 12 ingredients in processor and blend just until smooth (do not overmix). Transfer to bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated).
- Combine greens, onion, and cucumber in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat.