Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These meatballs are everybody's favorite and I can't go more than a few weeks without someone requesting them. They are very versatile as they can be made with almost any kind of ground meat or poultry. One warning though; if you do not like sweet foods this is not the recipe for you. In fact if you plan on doubling this recipe I recommend that you decrease the amount of jelly somewhat. Also you can increase the amount of breadcrumbs by a few tablespoons it it seems that it's not holding together but don't overdo it or your meatballs will become hard.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 12 ounces Coke
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 lb ground beef or 1 -2 lb ground turkey or 1 -2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄3 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Combine ingredients for meat mixture and seperately in a large covered saucepan or pot bring all the sauce ingredients to a simmer. When nice and hot start forming small meatballs (they will expand somewhat) and drop gently into the sauce. Lower heat and cook for 2 hours. Serve over rice with a little sauce.
Made this to serve as a hot appetizer for a weekend gathering. The meatball mixture made for easy to make meatballs which were both moist and tender. We love the combination of apricot jam and ketchup - but have to play around with that coke or possibly not add it next time. I wouldn't change anything on the meat mixture - it was a good basic mixture for the meat balls.