Recipe by sharflan
This was passed down by my great grandma & before... We always enjoyed it with cold meats (ham & turkey especially), but also a treat served along side scalloped potatoes.
- 12 large tomatoes, ripe
- 2 large onions
- 4 large sweet peppers, mixed colors
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, see below
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves, ground
- 2 1⁄2 cups vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare tomatoes - wash and peel if desired.
- Chop tomatoes, onions & peppers (seeds removed).
- Pour into a large stock pot (do not use aluminum due to the high acid of the tomatoes),adding the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 - 3.5 hours. The time will depend on how juicy your tomatoes are. It's 'done' when it has thickened but still retains some liquid.
- *Use white or brown. The amount of sugar depends on how sweet you like it and how sweet your tomatoes are. If the tomatoes are a bit bitter, add more sugar. I usually use about 3/4 cups, mixing white & brown together.
- Bottle into hot sterilized jars and seal.
- The quantity will depend on how thick or juicy you prefer it. Makes about 4 pints.