Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
Tender, peppery chicken breast strips are pan-fried then bathed in a unique, delicious sweet and sour cherry sauce. Serve with rice and garnish with green onion slices.
For the chicken
- 1 lb chicken breasts, strips or 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the dish
- 1 (16 ounce) canpitted dark sweet cherries, liquid reserved
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 green onions, sliced (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornstarch, onion powder, black pepper and allspice in a plastic zipper bag.
- Dip chicken strips in beaten egg, then shake in bag with cornstarch, to coat.
- Pan-fry in a large skillet until fully cooked and golden, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Combine syrup from cherries, water, sugar, white vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Whisk 1 tbsp.
- cornstarch with a little water to dissolve it evenly (this step is VERY important), then add to syrup mixture.
- Simmer together, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, then stir in cherries until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken strips and garnish with green onions.