Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't made this yet a friend gave it to me, sounds great though.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Mix together beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs.
- Add onion and half the tomato sauce.
- Form into loaf in 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Combine topping ingredients; bring to boil.
- Pour over meatloaf and bake 10 more minutes.
Isi am a snowbird and went looking for a sweet and sour meat loaf recipe because that's what I've made for he past 45 years and my family loves it. There is just a little difference from this recipe. I use just brown sugar and no vinegar. I think the tomato sauce has enough acid in it.it's a great recipe with or without this change.
My family absolutely loves this recipe. I always double the sauce so they can have some to pour over the meatloaf on their plates. I also mix about 1/2 cup of the sauce with the beef/bread crumb mixture, which makes it very moist. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
I absolutely LOVE this recipe! Everyone, from my grandparents to my picky brother, loved the meatloaf. My mom has even asked me to make it for different people and to take it to potlucks. Definitely a hit!