Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
A Jewish Kosher recipe posted for Around the World Recipe Swap. Recipe from my copy of The Art of Jewish Cooking by Jennie Grossinger.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen green beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons fat
- In a saucepan, combine the water, beans, salt, pepper, bay leaf and cloves.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 3 minutes less than package directions.
- Drain and add the sugar, vinegar and butter or fat.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
Like NoraMarie I too needed something to go with asian food. Nice contrast, tasty side dish. I served this with Thai Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe #99156 and Bulgur Pilaf With Broccoli and Peppers Recipe #107267
I was going to make this for dinner tonight anyway, but in mid-afternoon I was getting hungry so I cooked it up early and all by myself ate about half (!!) the recipe as a snack. Didn't mean to eat that much but it was just REALLY GOOD and I couldn't help myself.
These were very tasty! I served them with an Asian dinner and they were the perfect side dish! Thank you Toolie for an easy and delicious recipe.