Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Swedish cookie that you can adapt to your tastes easily by changing the ingredients around.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together the shortening, sugars, and butter until smooth. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Stir into the sugar mixture.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls. Roll the balls in chopped nuts then in sugar.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.
This is a good cookie but it contains a bit too much suger to my taste. If you use the amount in the cookie, it gets a little too sugary when you roll them in sugar before baking. Other than that I wouldn't make any changes and it's a great recipe!