Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adaptation of Whole Food's Morning Glory Muffins.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 small green apple, caramelized with oil and brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, ground flax; baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar, molasses, egg, vanilla; fold in carrots, orange juice or crushed pineapple.
- Stir in ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cayenne.
- Fold in flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. If too dry, add orange or other juice up to a 1/4 cup.
- Fold in nuts and dried fruit.
- Spoon into 1 greased 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, check and continue until a butter knife comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Cut into small squares and serve.