Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 7 mins
This is a recipe my grandmother gave to me to make for my children. I use it every Christmas for my children's school mates.
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- creamy frosting (optional)
- 236.59 ml shortening
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1064.65 ml sifted powdered sugar
- 44.37-59.16 ml milk
- Beat butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder, and a dash of salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of flour as you can with mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll onto a lightly floured surface, roll half at a time to 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack
- Creamy Frosting.
- Beat shortening, vanilla, and extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the milk.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar and enough remaining milk to reach spreading consistency.
- You can add food coloring but remember to reduce milk slightly.