1/1 Photo of Super Strawberry Fig Jam (Low-Sugar)
1 hr 5 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Came up with this low sugar recipe after being overwhelmed by light & heavy syrups while canning whole figs. Lots of figs around here now - free for the picking as not too many folks eat them anymore (Whaaaat?). It has a bright fresh flavor - when DH taste tested he ate all the extra from the first batch (about a 1/2 cup overage). Ordinarily he is a taste & go kind of guy so I knew it was good. I use the extra pectin as I like a firmer set. Leave out the extra pectin if you want a softer set (low sugar pectin seems to set softer for me). I added the extra lemon juice (bottled for the standardized pH) for safety's sake. No point in making the stuff just to get knocked off by it. The lemon definitely enhances.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups fresh figs, measured after cooking (about 5 - 6 cups fresh raw loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, bottled
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced, heaping
- 1 cup white grape juice, less 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, bottled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar (granulated cane)
- 1 3/4 ounces no-sugar-needed pectin (I use Ball)
- 5/8 ounce no-sugar-needed pectin (1/2 package)
- 1Place figs and 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice in a 3 quart saucepan & bring to a boil. Simmer until figs fall apart easily when stirred, about 20 minutes.
- 2Add strawberries to figs, along with grape juice & the 3 T lemon juice - put the 3 T lemon juice in the one cup measure then fill with grape juice to the one cup measure.
- 3Sprinkle the pectin into the fruits & mix well to avoid any lumps.
- 4Bring the fig, strawberry, juice mix to a hard boil that can't be stirred down - watch & stir to avoid scorching.
- 5Add the sugar & bring to a boil. Boil hard for 3 minutes & then place in hot sterilized jars (I use the boiling water bath to sterilize the jars when they come out of the dishwasher).
- 6Lid & process 10 minutes for 1/2 pints & 15 minutes for pints.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Strawberry Fig Jam (Low-Sugar)
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 391.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: