Maple Walnut Scones, Low Fat - Low Sugar
Thanks to Roxygirl in Colorado who's Recipe #107747 was the inspiration for this lightened recipe.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup heart healthy margarine
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped small
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup no-sugar-added maple syrup (I use E.D.Smith brand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 egg white
- Splenda sugar substitute, for sprinkeling on top
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, syrup, and maple flavoring.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until you've formed a dry soft dough.
- Flour your work surface generously and scrape the dough out of the mixing bowl onto the floured surface.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Gently pat each half of dough into a 7 inch circle about 7/8 inch thick.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (or Silipat mat).
- Brush the tops with the egg white and sprinkle with Splenda to your likeing.
- Using knife, divide each dough circle into eight wedges.
- Gently separate the wedges so that they're almost touching in the center, but are spaced about an inch apart at the edges.
- bake the scones for 15-18 minutes at 425, or until they're golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
WOW am I eating a treat for breakfast this morning! I blew the whole "low sugar" thing by subbing the walnuts for caramel chips. SINFUL I must say. And man did these babies have rise! I didn't read the recipe very well and made this into one big round (instead of 2). . .will remember that next time :) Lastly, I added some cinnamon which was a fabulous addition and I used apple/carrot sauce in place of the apple sauce (carrots are not detectable). I will most certainly be making this recipe again!!!! Thanks my friend!