Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my off the top of my head Tuna Salad which is GREAT for sandwiches :D I love Deli Tuna Sandwiches and for me this is a little less mayo version of it.
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water
- 1⁄4 cup red onion
- 1⁄8 cup celery (optional)
- 5 teaspoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons mixed sprouts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons light mayonnaise
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 dash mccormick garlic and herb seasoning (optional)
- Take the cans of tuna and place them in a mixing both with water intact, do not drain.
- Chop red onion, celery, dill and sprouts.
- Place red onion, celery, dill and sprouts in tuna and mix with fork until tuna, and the other ingredients reach a paste type consistency.
- Mix in powdered mustard -- be sure all is mixed in evenly.
- Mix in dijon mustard -- be sure all is mixed in evenly.
- Taste -- make sure the ingredients are mixed to your liking -- add extra of dill, red onion, celery, powdered mustard or dijon if desired.
- Add dash of onion powder and McCormick Garlic and Herb powder (or McCormick garlic and dill powder, or plain garlic powder).
- Taste -- if desired put a few more dashes inches.
- Make sure is mixed evenly and put mayonnaise in -- if more is desired -- put more in! Put each teaspoon in separately so not too much or too little is put in -- I am not much of a mayo person so for me less is more :).
- Mix evenly and put on a sandwich with tomato and sprout or even melted with swiss cheese for a tuna melt! You can even toss with lettuce and tomatoes for a great salad!
In all the years I've been making tuna, I never once thought it could be used without draining it, so I learned something new from this recipe. Mine definitely did need some extra mayonnaise, though--even with the extra water and all the mixing, it was quite dry. I also mixed in some chopped radishes. It made a nice sandwich. Thanks for posting!
My husband and I loved this as a tuna melt mix! I just used one can of tuna (for 2 people) and just estimated the rest. I used white onion instead of red, dill weed instead of fresh dill and I didn't have Dijon mustard. It turned out great! We will definitely use this again!!!
My favorite tuna recipe these days and I make it often! I usually leave out the sprouts or place them on the side mainly because I don't usually have them on hand. Love it!!