Bagel Tuna Melt
This is a favourite with my sister-in-law, although the tomato was my addition. I actually prefer cold tuna salad sandwiches, but this makes a nice change from that.
- Ready In:
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or more if you wish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bagels, halved horizontally
- 4 slices tomatoes, thick
- 4 slices swiss cheese (mozzarella works great too)
- Preheat oven to 350F; have ready an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, onion, pepper, mayo and worcestershire; taste and add salt and/or pepper if you wish.
- In the toaster, toast bagel halves; place all 4 on baking sheet.
- On a bagel half, place one slice tomato, then one-quarter of tuna mixture, then 1 slice cheese; repeat with other bagel halves.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- If you wish, quickly broil to brown melted cheese.
- Note: if you like tuna melts real cheesy, use one slice of swiss AND one slice of mozzarella!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was looking for something to do with a bagel for lunch, and I came across this recipe. I did improvise because I didn't have some of the stuff. I used pre-chopped shallots in place of the red onion and jarred roasted red peppers in place of fresh. I also omitted the tomato and used lowfat mayo. I baked it for about 7 minutes, then broiled for about 3. I topped each of them with 1/2 slice swiss and 1/2 slice cheddar. Since it was just me eating, I piled all of the tuna onto two bagel halves. I will definitely make this again...probably tomorrow! Thanks!Reply
see 8 more