1/2 Photos of Sunday Afternoon Tea Quick Pickled Cucumber and Onion
2 hrs 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
This should be called Mum's quick pickled cucumber and onion, as this is what she made EVERY Sunday afternoon for tea-time! We always had this alongside fresh bread and butter, boiled eggs, cold cuts of meat, fruit cake, scones, sometimes a tin of red salmon and always a pot of tea! Wonderful memories, and an easy and tasty pickle for tea-time food. This is also wonderful with picnic food, smoked salmon or an assorted cheese board.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use a fork to run through the surface of the cucumber, vertically downwards, to obtain a fluted pattern when sliced.
- 2Cut cucumber into thin slices and put into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and mix well. Leave the cucumber for 10 minutes to absorb the salt then rinse with cold water. Drain off excess liquid in a colander. Return cucumber to the large bowl and add the sliced onions.
- 3Combine sugar and vinegar together. Add to cucumber and onion slices and mix well.
- 4Decant into a plastic container, and refrigerate overnight or for a few hours before serving.
- 5Garnish with mint or parsley.
- 6Keeps in the fridge for a week.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Afternoon Tea Quick Pickled Cucumber and Onion
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 389.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 0.4 g