Recipe by Lori Mama
This recipe was adapted from the CBC cooking show Best Recipes Ever with slight adjustments. This recipe is done in a toaster oven and works very well.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped brown button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl and using fork, beat egg; blend in Panko crumbs, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix in mushroom mixture and pork. Pack into 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan, mounding top.
- Topping: In small bowl, combine chili sauce, mustard and thyme; spread over loaf. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.).
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) toaster oven until meat thermometer registers 170°F (75°C), 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain off fat.