Recipe by Miss Erin C.
These are basic cut-out cookies posted in responce to a request. Convection oven temp is included as well as conventional. I did not include the 3 hour chill time in the cook/prep times below, you may not need it if the dough isn't sticky and rolls out easily. The cook time is 7 minutes per batch.
Top Review by Mrs. Laura
I don't think the icing recipe should be listed the way it was. I thought when I was supposed to add the sugar that I added all the sugar. It seemed weird but then I read through and where it said icing, it didn't mean to buy icing, it meant the ingredients listed below were for the icing. whoopsies!
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 78.07 ml butter, softened
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml milk or 14.79 ml orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and shortening together, add sugar, baking powder and a dash of salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Cover and chill for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8" thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- in a conventional oven bake at 375F 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are slightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack, or on waxed paper on the countertop.
- Frost with icing when cooled.
- For a convection oven, I have seen that you would bake them on 325F for 7-8 minutes.
- If you take them out and let them sit on the pan for a minute, they will continue to cook.
- I usually take mine out a bit early, when they look like they aren't quite done yet.
- This lets them stay soft and chewy.
- Another tip is to drop the pan flat onto the counter after removing from the oven, this helps to spread them out so they aren't so puffed up.
- For the icing, just mix the 3 ingredients together until it is a good spreading consistency, adding extra milk 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Add a drop of food coloring.