Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is a R.I. tradition in old Yankee families. Legend has it that the Indians greeted Roger Williams, founder of R.I., with a meal of succotash and fresh fish.
Top Review by ChefDebs
This was delicious; i used dried lima beans (after soaking and cooking ) and fresh corn. I also added 2 hot peppers, chopped up.This will be a great side to serve at Thanksgiving.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen lima beans
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes or 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the lima beans and corn according to package directions; drain and combine in a large bowl.
- In a large, deep frying pan, melt butter.
- Saute the onions until tender.
- Stir in cooked vegetables and sugar.
- Add the light cream; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and scallions.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cooked mixture into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve warm.