Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This delicious recipe is courtesy of the Florida Fresh Tomato committee...goes great with grilled foods. If desired the meat filling can be prepared hours in advance, just fill the shells when ready to bake.
- 6 large meaty fresh tomatoes (room temperature)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped thawed and hand-squeezed
- 3 -4 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rice, uncooked (Minute Rice is good)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cut a slice from the top of the tomato; remove the inside pulp (leaving 1/4-inch thick shell, set aside.
- Chop the tomato pulp (should make about 3-1/2 cups pulp).
- In a large skillet, over high heat, heat the olive oil until hot.
- Add in mushrooms and onions, cook and stir until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add in the drained spinach, chopped tomato pulp, garlic, basil, salt and pepper; cook over low heat stirring occasionally, until flavors blend (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the UNCOOKED rice; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 - 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or to taste).
- Place the tomato shells in a prepared baking dish.
- Spoon the hot mixture evenly between the tomato shells.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are hot and the filling is golden.