Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I learned this recipe in a cooking class. Very nice flavor. There should be 3-4 mushrooms per person, if cooking as an appetizer. Because humidity and type of breadcrumbs can affect moisture, the wine amount is an approximation, you may need to add more if stuffing seems dry.
- 25 -30 small portabella mushrooms or 6 large portabella mushrooms
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, washed and sliced thin
- 4 -8 ounces marsala wine
- 4 ounces breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1⁄4 ounce ground nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces chopped fresh parsley
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a saute pan, add onions and cook until translucent.
- While the onions are cooking, chop mushroom stems and slice caps.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and caps and saute until tender, or about 10 minutes. Use the wine to deglaze the pan and simmer for 3 minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cream, seasonings, and parsley. Add to pan with cream.
- Simmer until thick. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Once cool, spoon onto Portobello mushroom caps and add cheeses on each cap. Bake in oven until mushrooms are tender and cheese is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Slice each cap into four pieces and serve.
These were a bit different from other stuffed mushroom recipes, the marsala wine gives them a bit of sweetness. I didn't see the directions what to do about the stems of the portabellos. I just removed them and chopped them in with the rest of the stuffing. I used smoked gouda for the cheese which worked very well. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT.
These were very tasty. The only problem I had was with the directions. Other than that, they were great. We had them for dinner last night with a spinach salad from our garden. We only had one mushroom each, so I would say it serves 4-6 for a meal, and more for hors d'oeuvres. Thank you for the recipe! Scarlett was kind enough to adjust her recipe, after I z-mailed her to explain why I had only given it 4 stars. It really is a 5 star, and we had the second two mushrooms the next day. Delicious! Made for the Australian/New Zealand recipe swap #14.