Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious recipe is an old time favorite. I forgot how much I Ioved stuffed green peppers. I decided to make them one day and this is what I came up with. Using ground pork, beef and veal together gives it the best flavor. This dish is great for an afternoon snack and the leftovers are great reheated the next day for lunch.
- 6 green peppers (nice sized)
- 4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 small onion (I use red but any will do)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground veal, pork and beef
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- marinara sauce (use your homemade version)
- Put 4 servings of rice into rice cooker. Put ground meat into frying pan and begin to saute. Add salt, pepper and continue to cook on low-medium heat. Open can of stewed tomatoes and seperate the juice from the tomatoes. Add a bit of the tomato juice to the meat. Continue to Saute.
- Chop the garlic and saute in a seperate pan (with a little bit of butter.) In the meantime, cut tops off of peppers, take out seeds. Put tops of peppers aside (They will be chopped up and added to the stuffing) dice the onion, green pepper and cut up the tomatoes.
- Add a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper to the meat. When the rice is done, add the meat, rice, bread crumbs, garlic, onion and pepper to a large bowl. Add a bit more salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a rectangular or square glass baking pan with a layer of water. About a 1/2 inch. Stuff each hollowed pepper with the mixture. Make sure the ingredients in the mixture are well combined.
- Place the peppers in the oven for about an hour. Top should be crispy.
- Finish with homemade tomato sauce and fresh grated romano cheese. Enjoy!