Recipe by Joym624
This was originally a recipe in Newsday, our local newspaper, but I've tweaked it and use bulghur or brown rice instead of the instant it originally called for. What makes this dish unusual is that it is cooked on the stove-top instead of in the oven.
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur or 1⁄4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 4 red bell peppers or 4 orange bell peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 16 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated locatelli cheese or 3 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the ribs and seeds.
- Combine the bulghur (or rice), ground turkey, 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce, cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Fill the 4 peppers with the mixture. If you have extra meat mixture, it can be placed on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the filled peppers in a large pot and pour on the remaining sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until the peppers are tender and the turkey is cooked through.
- Serve the peppers with sauce from the pot spooned over the top.