Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh Strawberries and Cream...Wonderful. Although it takes slightly longer them a normal dessert it is very WORTH IT. I got this recipe from a friend on the net but, she didn't say where she got it from. Very special recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened (1.75 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk tbsp water (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, cold
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3 -4 tablespoons powdered sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- approx 1 cup diced strawberry
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine milk, water, butter, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until dough comes together into a ball. Continue to cook dough, stirring continuously, for one additional minute.
- Transfer dough to mixer or clean bowl and let mix (pref. with a paddle attachment) at a low speed for 2-3 minutes until slightly cooled. Add eggs one at a time, waiting until each egg is fully incorporated to add the next one. Increase mixer speed and continue mixing until batter is very smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Using a spoon, drop 16 round tablespoonfuls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly stir together remaining egg yolk and water to create an egg wash. Brush each pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until puffs are well browned.
- Allow puffs to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat all ingredients together with a whisk until soft peaks form. If you want to make the filling sweeter, then add a bit more sugar. You might have to add a little more cream to keep the filling from getting too stiff. Fold in diced strawberries, then either spoon or pipe filling into split cream puffs just before serving. Chill if not using filling right away.