Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This dessert is always the first to go at any gathering. It is light and refreshing and perfect during strawberry season.
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Combine in medium saucepan 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, Jello, lemon juice, and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir in sliced strawberries.
- Tear angel food cake into 1 inch pieces and toss with 2 cups of the Cool Whip.
- Press into 9x13 inch pan (I use glass so you can see the pretty layers).
- Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup remaining sugar, and vanilla in mixer bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining Cool Whip.
- Spread evenly over cake layer.
- Pour cooled strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer, spreading to cover cake evenly.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before serving.
- Note: You may substitute a 16 ounce bag of frozen whole strawberries, thawed and chopped, for the fresh strawberries.
There is no better name for this than Strawberry Heaven! So delicious. I could have eaten the entire pan myself. I could see no point in the cornstarch, so I just made the package of strawberry jello as it instructs on the box, added the sugar and lemon juice and strawberries (Use LOTS of strawberries!) The jello seeped down into the cake and after it set up, helped hold it all together. I want to make this every week of strawberry season!
Very nice! Easy to make, too. It will be great for the hot, summer days. Thanks for sharing :-)
Made for our family gathering this July 4th and it was a dessert hit with everyone. Thank-you for sharing this recipe!