Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You won't recognize the white cake mix after adding strawberry gelatin and fresh berries. Add the rich cream cheese frosting, and this cake has blue ribbon potential. This is a superior cake, perfect for birthday parties and baby showers.
- vegetable shortening, for greasing the pans
- flour, for dusting the pans
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup mashed fresh strawberries, with juice (1 1/2 cups whole berries)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup frozen grated unsweetened coconut, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup fresh ripe strawberry, rinsed, capped and mashed to make 1/2 cup, then drained well
- 1⁄2 cup frozen grated unsweetened coconut, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, strawberry gelatin, mashed strawberries and juice, oil, milk and eggs in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The strawberries should be well blended into the batter. Fold in the coconut and pecans. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and place them in the oven; if your oven is not large enough, place two pans on the center rack and place the third pan in the center of the highest rack.
- Bake the cakes until they are light brown and just start to pull away from the sides of the pan, 28 to 30 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the layer on the highest oven rack. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow them to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the sugar and drained strawberries. Blend the frosting on low until the sugar has been incorporated. Then raise the speed to medium and mix the frosting another minute or until the frosting lightens and is well combined. Fold in the coconut and pecans.
- To assemble, place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter. Spread the top with frosting. Add another cake layer, right side up, and frost the top. Repeat this process with the third layer and frost the top. Use the remaining frosting to frost the sides, working with clean, smooth strokes. Serve at once or chill the cake for later serving.
- Place this cake uncovered, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. Cover the cake with waxed paper and store, in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Wonderful! I made this for my daughter's birthday (she loves strawberries). I did omit the coconut and pecans from both the cake and frosting, otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I checked the cakes after baking 18 minutes and I was glad I did because they were done. I made white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate dipped strawberries and sprinkled them lightly with a mix of pink sprinkles. I then topped the frosted cake with the strawberries. We all enjoyed this immensely...the cake was flavorful and very moist. Thank you for the recipe.
I've always liked strawberry cake but this cake has made a true believer out of me! Because of this cake, I LOVE strawberry cake now and can't stop thinking about this delectable, delicious, mouth-watering, tender, flavor-packed cake! How could I not love this scrumptious cake with such a dreamy frosting? It has some of my favorite ingredients in it (coconut, pecans, strawberries, cream cheese)!!! If you want to impress people with a strawberry cake, this is THE ONE to swear by. I can't wait to make it again!
My wife made this for me for our Valentines dinner. We absolutely loved it! She made the frosting with nuts and it really enhanced the flavor for us. This could fast become our favorite cake and we look forward to having it often!