Recipe by breezermom
This beef stir-fry is a little spicy...if you need a milder version reduce the crushed red pepper by half. This comes from "Plain & Elegant: A Georgia Heritage" . The original recipe does not call for any green vegetable, but I like to add some fresh asparagus when I cook the squash....but I posted it as originally posted.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great little side dish, or in this case a nice small dinner. I left out the green onion, and used cooked white rice. Very flavorful, and the kids especially enjoyed the asparagus. This was a nice dinner for us. Used some yellow squash in place of the zucchini. This was a very nice stir fry recipe. made for Holiday Tag.
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, boneless
- 2 large red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 stalks asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (optional...not in original recipe)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- hot cooked rice
- green onion, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from the steak; slice the steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Set aside.
- Place the chopped red bell peppers in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth, stopping frequently to scrape down the sides. Set aside.
- Pour 2 tablepoons oil around the top of a preheated wok or large skillet, coating the sides; heat at medium-high (375 degrees) for 2 minutes. Add the onion and minced garlic, and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add the squash, (and asparagus if using) and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove the vegetables from the wok and set aside.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into the wok; add half of the steak strips, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Remove the steak from the wok, and set aside. Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the wok. Add the remaining steak strips, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until browned.
- Combine the soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Add the soy sauce mixture, red bell pepper puree, reserved vegetable mixture, and steak strips to the wok. Stir fry until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice.
- Garnish with green onion strips.