Stir Fry Beef and Vegetables
photo by Charlotte J
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean beef, thinly sliced (Slightly frozen beef is easier to slice)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup broccoli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 12 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- water chestnut
- Toss beef in bowl with soy sauce and sherry.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok, or wide frying pan.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute over high heat.
- Add drained beef (reserve marinade).
- Stir fry until meat is brown.
- Add scallions, celery, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms.
- Cover and steam about 5 minutes.
- Mix water, cornstarch, sesame oil and marinate in small bowl; pour into pan.
- Heat to boiling.
- Cook until thickened.
- Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thanks! I needed an idea for a new stir-fry veggie mix as the stand-by was getting boring. I made this recipe without the beef and the results were excellent. Well received by my picky-veggie-eating husband. I did add fresh green beans and some julienned orange pepper. We are all looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow. Served with General Tso's chicken and fried rice.
This is certainly a great recipe as it is or to build from. I subbed out the soy sauce and sherry for hoisin sauce but other then that I followed the recipe without the celery or water chestnuts(would loved to have them but didn't have in the house). Served over basmati rice for a great weeknight dinner. Will definitely be on my list of dinners for our house as everyone enjoyed it. Thanks Rita
A nice dinner with a lot of color and very filling. I used regular soy sauce, dry sherry, baby carrots (to cut), 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 3/4 cup of water and NO water chestnuts when I made this tonight. I enjoyed the flavor of the sesame oil in this dish and the bright colors from the broccoli and carrots. Once you have everything cut up and in bowls, your almost done with the recipe. I measured out 1/4 cup of rice and put on my tiny 4 1/2" Asian plate with the meat mixture and took a picture for you. I hope you like it. We sure enjoyed your recipe and I will make it again. Made for *Magic Mushrooms Tag 2008* game from the Asian Cooking Forum
see 4 more reviews