This is great if you have a head of lettuce that you have to use right away. Even if you don't, its still a great side dish to any asian meal. Simple to make, with common ingredients, its a keeper for sure. Try different lettuce varieties, I used romane tonight since its what was on hand. I also didn't have sesamee oil tonight so I used walnut oil and it was still a winner. I like to toss in some toasted sesame seeds and if I have them on hand a green onion, chopped, is nice to add with the lettuce. As you can see, this recipe leaves a huge opening for your own additions and variations.
- Wash and dry lettuce. Tear or cut into pieces a bit bigger than bite sized. Separate leaves and dicard core.
- In a small bowl mix soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Set aside.
- Place 14 inch wok or 12 inch frying pan on medium-high heat. When hot, add the salad oil and garlic. Stir fry until the garlic begins to take a little color.
- Add lettuce and stir fry until slightly limp but still somewhat crisp.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve at once.