Recipe by echo echo
This Asian-flavored recipe is adapted from a mailing I got from The Splendid Table, a recipe program on National Public Radio. The original used walnuts rather than pecans and dry sherry rather than mirin. I actually marinated the beef in the soy sauce-mirin mixture a couple hours before cooking. Be sure to use TOASTED sesame oil--it is used for its taste and regular sesame oil is just not the same.
Top Review by Jewelies
This is excellent. I set this up early in the morning, marinating the beef and having the sauce along with the garlic - ginger mix ready for a 'quick cook' after a meeting. Instead of cooking the broccoli in the wok, I used the microwave and had it all ready to go. I did add extra red pepper flakes and doubled the sauce (always do for chinese style meals). Fabulous flavour and a keeper for our family. Thank you echo echo for a great meal.
- 3⁄4 lb flank steaks or 3⁄4 lb round steak, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli florets, broken into bite size pieces stalks peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the garlic sauce ingredients in a jar; set aside.
- Toss the beef with the soy sauce and mirin in a medium bowl.
- Combine the garlic through red pepper flakes and 1½ tsp oil in a small bowl.
- Toast the pecans over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes until aromatic; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsps oil in a skillet or wok; add beef w/ soy sauce marinade & sauté, stirring, 2-3 minutes until well browned; remove beef from the skillet.
- Heat 1½ tsps more oil in the skillet, add the broccoli with ½ cup water, cover and cook 1-2 minutes until broccoli turns bright green.
- Uncover and stir-fry 2-4 minutes until the liquid evaporates and broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Push aside the broccoli, add the garlic and ginger to the pan and cook 45 seconds, mashing with back of spoon to release fragrance.
- Stir together the broccoli and garlic, add the beef and toss to combine.
- Shake garlic sauce in its jar and add to the skillet.
- Remove the pan from the heat and toss to coat the beef and broccoli.
- Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- Serve hot over rice.