1/1 Photo of Stir-Fried Beef, Broccoli and Pecans in Garlic Sauce
echo echo's Note:
This Asian-flavored recipe is adapted from a mailing I got from The Splendid Table, a recipe program on National Public Radio. The original used walnuts rather than pecans and dry sherry rather than mirin. I actually marinated the beef in the soy sauce-mirin mixture a couple hours before cooking. Be sure to use TOASTED sesame oil--it is used for its taste and regular sesame oil is just not the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb flank steaks or 3/4 lb round steak, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 teaspoons oil
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets, broken into bite size pieces stalks peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1Combine the garlic sauce ingredients in a jar; set aside.
- 2Toss the beef with the soy sauce and mirin in a medium bowl.
- 3Combine the garlic through red pepper flakes and 1½ tsp oil in a small bowl.
- 4Toast the pecans over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes until aromatic; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 5Heat 2 tsps oil in a skillet or wok; add beef w/ soy sauce marinade & sauté, stirring, 2-3 minutes until well browned; remove beef from the skillet.
- 6Heat 1½ tsps more oil in the skillet, add the broccoli with ½ cup water, cover and cook 1-2 minutes until broccoli turns bright green.
- 7Uncover and stir-fry 2-4 minutes until the liquid evaporates and broccoli is crisp-tender.
- 8Push aside the broccoli, add the garlic and ginger to the pan and cook 45 seconds, mashing with back of spoon to release fragrance.
- 9Stir together the broccoli and garlic, add the beef and toss to combine.
- 10Shake garlic sauce in its jar and add to the skillet.
- 11Remove the pan from the heat and toss to coat the beef and broccoli.
- 12Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- 13Serve hot over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stir-Fried Beef, Broccoli and Pecans in Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.2
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 569.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 24.9 g