Colorado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
From Martha Green's Cooking Things on our local public radio.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 slices sourdough French bread
- 12 ounces turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices red onions, separated into rings
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, 4 1oz slices
- In small bowl, combine butter, garlic and crushed red pepper. Stir to blend and set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg and milk and set aside.
- Spread Parmesan cheese evenly on large plate and set aside.
- In large skillet, melt half of the butter mixture over low heat.
- Working quickly, dip 1 of the bread slices in egg mixture, coating only 1 side. Dip coated side into Parmesan cheese. Place in skillet, cheese side down. Repeat with 3 remaining bread slices.
- Arrange turkey, avocado and tomato on top of bread slices. Sprinkle with cilantro and top with onion rings and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Dip remaining 4 bread slices in egg mixture, coating 1 side and dip coated side into Parmesan and place on top of sandwich, cheese side out.
- Increase heat to medium and cook until bottom is golden brown.
- Add remaining butter, turn sandwiches to cook and brown the other side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
What an awesome sandwich. I took the advice of Sharlene and got rid of some of the fat, but other than that made as directed. I used Kitz homemade French Bread that I had frozen. As with any sandwich that I make with sliced avocado, it keep trying to escape, but it really added a great freshness to this. Thanks for sharing Engrossed.