Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yum! A filling and tasy soup you will love, that's also low fat! From Perfect Food, a weight watchers magazine.
- 1 lb ground round
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about a pound)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomato juice or 3 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans nonfat beef broth
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- Cook beef in a 12 quart Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Drain well, and return to pan.
- Add water and the rest of the ingredients, except the angel hair pasta, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Break the pasta in half; stir into soup, and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes until pasta is done.
Delicious stick to your ribs soup. I used extra lean ground beef and cooked it in some unrefined extra virgin olive oil. I didn't need to drain it because it was so lean. I used mainly V8 juice plus some tomato juice from the canned tomatoes for which I used a good brand of whole plum tomatoes I chopped myself, garlic salt with no additional salt, freshly ground black pepper, dried marjoram in place of dried thyme because of dislike for the latter. I used beef broth left over from simmering cabbage rolls that had beef in them. I forgot to add the pasta we enjoyed it very much without. I would make this again.
Very, very tasty soup. And it makes a LOT!!! I was able to share with our neighbors and they really liked it. I dropped in a couple beef bouillon cubes -- just because I like a little stronger beef flavor. We also topped the soup off with a nice dollup of sour cream (so much for it being a low fat recipe)!!!! I also added some chopped onion to the ground round as it was browning. I some onion that was already chopped up and wanted to use it. I liked the addition of it and will probably put it in the next time I make this. This was made for the Cookathon at Kittencalskitchen in memory of Sharon's dear husband.
Another great soup from you Sharon. I used lean ground beef. I omitted the carrot and celery but I may try it next time. I used vegetable juice. I omitted the salt. I wanted to add the angel hair pasta but I forgot. I thought about it too late. It's delicious even without the pasta. Thanks Sharon :) Made for your cookathon.