Recipe by Sharon123
Yum! A filling and tasy soup you will love, that's also low fat! From Perfect Food, a weight watchers magazine.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Delicious stick to your ribs soup. I used extra lean ground beef and cooked it in some unrefined extra virgin olive oil. I didn't need to drain it because it was so lean. I used mainly V8 juice plus some tomato juice from the canned tomatoes for which I used a good brand of whole plum tomatoes I chopped myself, garlic salt with no additional salt, freshly ground black pepper, dried marjoram in place of dried thyme because of dislike for the latter. I used beef broth left over from simmering cabbage rolls that had beef in them. I forgot to add the pasta we enjoyed it very much without. I would make this again.
- 1 lb ground round
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about a pound)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomato juice or 3 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans nonfat beef broth
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef in a 12 quart Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Drain well, and return to pan.
- Add water and the rest of the ingredients, except the angel hair pasta, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Break the pasta in half; stir into soup, and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes until pasta is done.