Recipe by JoyfulCook
A smooth tasting Chicken Curry , full of flavor and not too hot, a great hit with family and friends - who always come back for more.
Top Review by Zippy Zoe
Tried this for the first time tonight and I was impressed. Full of flavours and very filling. My one year old also loved this and ate it all. If you haven't tried this yet,what are you waiting for :)
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, fresh grated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 2 slices lemon rind
- 1 cinnamon stick, small
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry curry leaves until they start to turn colour.
- Add onions, ginger and garlic, cook on medium heat until soft. Add all the spices, salt and vinegar and stir well.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat meat. Add whole spices and the tomatoes, stir and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally (don't be tempted to add any water - as the juices will make enough) for 40 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk or even a small amount of cream if coconut milk is not available.
- Stir through and thicken if necessary.
- Serve with rice. the curry can always be made hotter by serving Sambal olek (crushed chilli) for those who like their curry hotter.
- This dish freezes well.