Sri Lanka Chicken Curry
photo by JoyfulCook
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 onions, large, diced
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic, Crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili, powdered
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the curry leaves until they start to slightly brown add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook until soft, stirring.
- Add the Chilli, tumeric, corriander, paprika, cummin vinegar and the salt. stir well.
- Add the chicken and stir until coated with the spice mixture. Add the tomatoes, whole spices and lemon rind.
- Simmer gently over low heat for about 45 to 60 minutes (according to the size of the chicken peices). do not be tempted to add any water, as it will form its own juices. stir ocassionally.
- Add the Coconut milk at the end of the cooking stir in well, and thicken if necessary with some cornflour mixed in a small amount of water.
- Serve with rice, and Naan bread.
- NB - like most recipes, this is easier to make if all the ingredients have been prepared.
- Great to freeze.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We now reside back in England after returning from Australia after most of our working life there. I have been fortunate enough to have lived in many countries when I was younger and therefore many of my recipes reflect this! Love to cook. love to travel too