Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cashew Chicken Sauce - Springfield MO Style
- 4 tablespoons chicken base
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (granulated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon maggi seasoning
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients except the (2/3 C water and corn starch) and bring to a slow rolling boil.
- Add corn starch to 2/3 C water and whisk thoroughly, then combine with boiling sauce base.
- Whisk until thickened.
- This sauce is actually as close as I can come to Mr. Lee's Sauce from Oriental Inn in Marshfield, MO. He's made the "BEST" Springfield-Style Cashew Chicken in America since 1982. Period.
Looks fabulous! I consider myself lucky to live where I get to eat this unique and original style of chicken. For variety, try my Ozarks Cashew Chicken recipe on this site. Very similar, but more in line with the original Springfield-style cashew chicken developed by David Leong in 1963 at Leong's Tea House.
Excellent...Just what i was looking for.