Recipe by Chef Canada Umami
This is a wonderful savoury salad to have when the days are cool and the spinach is available fresh. This recipe was passed on to me by an English woman living in Japan. We don't have it often as it does use some decedent pork belly fat - however we believe that such decadence is acceptable in small quantities every once in a while, living with all things in moderation & balance...
Top Review by Neorn3
I made this for dinner tonight and it was great. The instructions say to add honey but it wasn't in the ingredients list so I added about a tablespoon. I also cooked up a whole pound of bacon and that was too much fat for the dressing so next time I'll probably use half a pound of bacon. We added sauteed shrimp for a main dish salad.
- 3⁄4-1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, fresh, ground, to taste
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed and chilled
- 1⁄2-1 cup red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 eggs, hard boiled & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Place enough water in a small saucepan to cover three eggs and bring to a boil.
- Add the eggs when water is boiling and allow to boil for 7-minutes.
- Remove sauce pan from heat and add cold water from the tap until there is no more hot water - and let sit.
- Meanwhile - fry bacon over medium low heat until cooked and the fat is rendered.
- Remove bacon to plate with paper towels to drain.
- Chop/crumble when cool.
- Peel cooled eggs and slice, cube or cut in wedges as preferred.
- Combine reserve bacon drippings with a wire whip, along with the mustard, vinegar and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss spinach with warm dressing, garnish with eggs & remaining ingredients & serve immediately.