Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I like this salad because it isn't fruity like many spinach salads out there. My cousin always brings this to family dinners and everybody loves it, even the ones that don't like spinach! Be sure to make the dressing the night before! The original recipe called for 1 lb. of swiss cheese. I think that's a bit much and usually make it with 1/2 lb.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2-1 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 bunches spinach (I use a 10oz bag)
- Note for Dressing: This makes a lot, I usually only use about half.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate overnight. Very important!
- Toss salad ingredients together and mix in dressing just before serving.
Great salad with bacon, mushrooms and swiss cheese. Husband approved big time!
I have been looking for this recipe everywhere!! My Aunt makes it for all of the family dinners and it is our favorite. I haven't been able to find my recipe for the vinaigrette though. Thanks!!
This was a little sweet for us, even though I cut the ingredients down to 1/2 cup oil, 1/3 sugar and 1/4 vinegar. Thanks for the recipe though.