Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been craving this awesome salad that my friend and I had at a restaurant in Houston. I could not find the recipe so I tried my best to recreate it. Fresh and yummy, this combo is a nice change of pace!
- 24 ounces chicken breasts, cooked, preferably grilled
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach or 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (combo of nuts is great too) or 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (combo of nuts is great too)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, sweet flavored -try any berry flavor or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, to taste
- 1 pinch dry mustard, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- In a jar or container with cover combine the dressing ingredients and shake well. Refrigerate to chill until ready to serve.
- Wash fruit and veggies and dry completely. Dressing will not adhere if greens are wet.
- Combine the spinach, blueberries, onion, sunflower kernels, nuts and raisins in a large bowl.
- Slice chicken into strips and place on top of greens.
- Pour chilled dressing over salad and gently toss.
This salad was delicious, colorful and easily prepped in 5 minutes. For color, a fresh dill blossom sprig was added; and organically grown local blueberries, spinach from the farmer's market and expeller pressed walnut oil in the dressing. I did however, skip the chicken because this was served as a side salad along with chicken as our main dish. Thanks for posting, mama's kitchen! cg
This salad is the BOMB. Loved it. Great mix of flavors and the dressing makes it!! Made this for lunch with leftover rotisserie chicken, but will have to make it again soon for DH (who will surely love it as well). I didn't have red onion, so subbed out the whites of some green onions which worked well. I used sunflower seeds, but I am sure the almonds would be just as good! Great mix of sweet and savory. Thanks Mama! Made for BEVY TAG. NOTE: I made this again tonight for DH. He loved it as well. This time I subbed about 1T of Stevia for the sugar and threw some feta in the salad. YUM.
Never would I have thought these different ingredients would go together. Blueberries, red onion, raisins, and the sweet dressing is just over the top wonderful. I chopped up some raw almonds for the seed part. Incredible. I"m adding blueberries to more of my salads from now on. Thanks for sharing this w/me Hope. Made for Aprils' Bevvy Tag ~