Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love mushrooms, love pasta, love spinach. Need I say more?
- 12 ounces rotini noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced (oyster, shiitake, cemini, portobello etc...)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed well & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In large non-stick pan over med-high heat, cook garlic, onion& thyme in oil for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms begin to brown& their juices begin to run.
- Sprinkle with flour& stir about one minute, then slowly begin to add the milk, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spinach, basil, salt& pepper& cook until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta& grate fresh parmesan cheese over individual servings.
I LOVED this recipe! The taste is so flavorful and even the look of it is so pleasing. It didnt take long to make too!
This recipe is solid! I didn't have milk at hand so I used 2 cups of water instead, and added half a cup of melted spreadable sharp cheese with 2 tbsp of butter. I also didn't have fresh thyme or basil so I used an italian seasoning containing both. I also used 4 cups of spinach and 2 cups of mushrooms instead. Even with all of these adjustments, along with my skepticism, the sauce came out perfect.
I must have measured the milk wrong because the sauce was way too runny. I had to thicken it with an egg yolk and added parmesan cheese directly to the skillet instead of just sprinkling it on top. Also the flavor was sort of bland so I cooked up some italian sausage and added it to the mixture.
I will make this again, being sure to measure everything carefully and then I'll amend my review or write a new one.