Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love mushrooms, love pasta, love spinach. Need I say more?
Make and share this Spinach & Mushroom Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces rotini noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced (oyster, shiitake, cemini, portobello etc...)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed well & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In large non-stick pan over med-high heat, cook garlic, onion& thyme in oil for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms begin to brown& their juices begin to run.
- Sprinkle with flour& stir about one minute, then slowly begin to add the milk, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spinach, basil, salt& pepper& cook until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta& grate fresh parmesan cheese over individual servings.
I LOVED this recipe! The taste is so flavorful and even the look of it is so pleasing. It didnt take long to make too!
This recipe is solid! I didn't have milk at hand so I used 2 cups of water instead, and added half a cup of melted spreadable sharp cheese with 2 tbsp of butter. I also didn't have fresh thyme or basil so I used an italian seasoning containing both. I also used 4 cups of spinach and 2 cups of mushrooms instead. Even with all of these adjustments, along with my skepticism, the sauce came out perfect.
Simply simple and delicious. I can't believe how much the spinach and mushroom sauce tasted like alfredo sauce. I'm vegan so I substituted the milk with almond milk. Oh and I used whole wheat pasta instead. Delicious!!