Recipe by P4
Great brunch dish, or a light dinner entree. The better quality feta you use, the better this will taste. Use 12-inch springform tart pan or springform pan
Top Review by canarygirl
Awesome recipe, PetitFour! I followed the recipe to the letter, and it came out perfect. It reminded me so much of spanakopita! (one of my favorite foods). Directions were simple and accurate. This will be a regular feature on our Sunday breakfast menu! Thanks for a fabulous and easy to prepare recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cold,cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 6 -8 tablespoons ice water
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese (or Swiss or whatever)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup diced scallion, green and white part
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces feta
- brined kalamata olive, for garnish
- 1 sprig dill, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry- put all the dry ingredients into the food processor.
- Pulse a few times, then add the butter, then pulse a few more times until the butter is in pea sized chunks.
- Beat the egg into 3 tbl.
- of the water and add to the mix, pulsing a few more times.
- Add more water as needed to get the dough to just come together, a tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition.
- Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap, knead once or twice, pat flat and chill for about an hour.
- Pull out of the fridge, roll out on a floured board until it will fit into the tart pan (or the standard springform pan, with 2 inches of dough going up the side).
- Trim the edges, prick the bottom several times with a fork, and lay a piece of foil across the bottom weighted down with beans or pennies.
- Blind bake at 425 degrees or about 8 minutes or so, remove the foil and beans, bake a few minutes longer or until the crust gets rid of any sheen and looks dull.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the gruyere, and set aside.
- Decrease the oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Filling: Drain the spinach and squeeze it dry.
- Saute the onion and scallions and a small pinch of kosher salt in the butter and oil until soft.
- Add the spinach and saute until completely wilted, (about 3 minutes or so).
- Add the dill and pepper and saute another 2 minutes.
- Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the eggs, then add the half-n-half, the cream and mix well.
- Crumble the feta into the spinach, then add to the cream mixture.
- Mix until well combined, the pour into the prepared tart shell.
- Place the tart pan on another baking sheet and bake until the filling is slightly puffed, light brown, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before removing from the tart pan.
- Garnish with olives and dill sprigs.