Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
For a quick satisfying soup, this recipe is a snap to put together. The combination of the ingredients makes a nice sauce. A sprinkling of cheese provides a tasty finish. Served with French bread makes it hearty enough for a meal. Note: This recipe was entered for RSC#11 and has been modified with additional seasonings. ;)
Top Review by rickoholic83
I was cleaning out the fridge and freezer yesterday. Three items needed to be used immediately: a frozen package of (fresh) chicken and prosciutto tortellini, homemade chicken stock and baby spinach. A quick search of the database and I found this great soup! I used a can of fire-roasted tomatoes and since the recipe doesn't state where to add the minced garlic, I added it with the tomatoes. Increased the spinach, cayenne and pepper. Thanks for sharing, Chef~V!
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) canroasted-garlic seasoned chicken broth
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini or 1 (9 ounce) package mushroom tortellini
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 cups packed Baby Spinach
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add tortellini, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 5 minutes. Gently stir in diced tomatoes, simmer 3 minutes until tortellini is tender, stir in sundried tomatoes, shallots.
- Stir in basil, cayenne pepper, oregano and black pepper and simmer another 2 minutes.
- Stir in spanach 1 cup at a time just until wilted.
- Ladle into shallow bowls, sprinkle with cheese and additional cayenne pepper to taste.