Garlic, ginger, green onions, rice wine or vodka, chili paste and much more give this an incredible flavour. Adjust the heat to your taste. Another favourite of mine from Bonnie Stern. This can also be made with boneless chicken breasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp, raw
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece ginger, the size of a quarter and 1/2 inch thick
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (10 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1Peel and devein shrimp and combine with cornstarch.
- 2In food processor chop garlic and ginger.
- 3Cut green onions into 1 inch lengths, add to food processor and pulse 4-6 times until finely chopped and mixed. Stir in red pepper flakes. Reserve.
- 4In a separate bowl, stir together rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, salt, ketchup, chili paste and sesame oil. Reserve.
- 5Julienne the bamboo shoots and add to a new bowl with the peas. Yes, this recipe requires some prep time, but well worth it!
- 6Heat a wok or large deep skillet. Add oil and heat to frying temperature, around 400 F if you have an oil themometer, which I don't.
- 7Add shrimp and stir gently 2-3 minutes until almost cooked through. Remove the shrimp to a separate bowl and discard all but 2 Tbsp of the oil.
- 8Add garlic/ginger/green onion mixture and stir fry 30 seconds until fragrant. Add bamboo shoots and peas and stir to coat.
- 9Add sauce mix and bring to a boil, then add the shrimp and heat through.
- 10Serve over rice and enjoy.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Szechuan Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.6
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 294.4 mg
- Sodium 1620.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: