Recipe by MizzNezz
Steamed rice is perfect with this very tasty exotic dish.
Top Review by bydzign
This recipe is delicious. It reminds of a dish I had back home in NY at my favorite Indian restaurant -- Shrimp Malai. I've missed the dish and now can make it whenever I like! I've made it with seafood, chicken and will try lamb or veal stew meat. I serve it over Jasmine rice which a perfect accompaniment. This rice is light and fluffy and soaks up the sauce. I adapted the dish by adding extra tumeric and a little less than a tablespoon of sugar...yum :-). Thank you for submitting this wonderful recipe. I've already made five copies for friends who've tried it. Thanks! And keep them coming! :-). bydzign
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup drained canned tomato
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (from 2 15oz cans)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- lime wedge (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in lg skillet on med-hi heat.
- Add onions and stir cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger,cook 2 minutes.
- Add next 5 spices, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes,cook 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk,water, and salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until thickened 5-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, simmer, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.