Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The spice is sweet. The cheese toast takes this soup from very good to excellent!
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, chopped well
- 14.79 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 680.38 g diced pumpkin or 453.59 g can pumpkin
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- chopped green onion
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g gruyere, cut into slices
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add celery and onion and saute until onion is golden, around 10 minutes.
- Blend in the flour, salt, ginger and nutmeg.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and pumpkin.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 nminutes.
- In batches blend puree to smooth.
- Turn into a soup tureen and blend in the half and half.
- Garnish with green onions and toast.
- To make toast preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange bread on oven rack and toast to golden brown on both sides.
- Remove and brush with oil.
- Arrange slices of Gruyere on each piece of bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve with OR on soup.
This was even better than I anticipated. LOVED the toast. I did use evaporated milk rather than half-and-half and just a touch of grapeseed oil rather than butter.