Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The spice is sweet. The cheese toast takes this soup from very good to excellent!
Make and share this Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, chopped well
- 14.79 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 680.38 g diced pumpkin or 453.59 g can pumpkin
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- chopped green onion
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g gruyere, cut into slices
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add celery and onion and saute until onion is golden, around 10 minutes.
- Blend in the flour, salt, ginger and nutmeg.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and pumpkin.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 nminutes.
- In batches blend puree to smooth.
- Turn into a soup tureen and blend in the half and half.
- Garnish with green onions and toast.
- To make toast preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange bread on oven rack and toast to golden brown on both sides.
- Remove and brush with oil.
- Arrange slices of Gruyere on each piece of bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve with OR on soup.