Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my favorite recipe from home! It goes great with rice and curries.
- 6 potatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 green chilies (or sareno peppers )
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or mustard oil)
- Preparation: Toast the sesame seed until they are brown in a pan. Then crush them into powder using mortar and pestle or spice grinder (powder doesn’t have to be fine).
- Cut onions and green chillies lengthwise into thin long pieces.
- Mix the crushed sesame seed powder, yogurt and water in a bowl.
- Boil the potatoes and peel them. Break them into bite size pieces using hand.
- Direction: In a big salad bowl, mix the potatoes and the sesame seed mixture. In a small pan heat the oil and fry the green peas. On the same pan, flash fry the cumin and coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin seed and salt. Pour all of this into the mixing bowl with potatoes. Add the onions and green chillies. Toss everything gently using your hand or two big ladles. Make sure you don’t break the potatoes into more pieces while tossing the mix.
- *flash fry should be done really fast so that the spices don’t burn. Take 1-2 minutes.