Recipe by mary winecoff
This quick and easy recipe is hot! You may also substitute collard greens for the turnip greens. The okra, once cut, will thicken the sauce as it cooks. Posted for ZWT 4.
Top Review by breezermom
I made the recipe exactly as written. I did cook it a little longer, because the turnip greens and okra were still very tough after 20 minutes. I liked the addition of okra to the turnip greens, but I think I'd follow kellyn's review next time and cook the greens like I always do (I'm from the south), adding the okra. I made this for my "greens" on New Years Day! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb turnip greens, stems removed and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 okra, end removed and cut into halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (red is preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and stir onion and pine nuts in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in turnip greens, okra and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until turnip greens are tender, 18 to 20 minutes.