Recipe by Chef Howe
This is one of my favorite recipes. Whenever I cook anything Mexican, I prepare this as a side dish. I have been known to eat it right out of the pan, before it is even finished cooking.
Top Review by AnaInMN
Fantastic recipe! HUGE compliments from everyone in my family! I used 3-10 oz cans of Ro-Tel tomatoes and vegetable oil instead of bacon grease and it was outstanding! I thought 2 small onions seemed like it would be too much so I only used 1 1/2, but in the future I will use the full amount. I'm going to try adding chicken, shrimp and/or andouille the next time to make it a main dish. Simple and Delicious!!
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Rotel diced tomatoes (Mexican)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups instant rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice one of the onions in very thin slices. Finely chop the other onion.
- Mash the garlic with the salt to make a paste.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a medium sauce pan. Add chopped onions and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onions are translucent.
- Puree the two cans of Rotel Mexican Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.
- Add pureed Rotel, chicken broth, chili powder and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in instant rice and sliced onions.
- Cover and let stand over very low heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.