Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes. Whenever I cook anything Mexican, I prepare this as a side dish. I have been known to eat it right out of the pan, before it is even finished cooking.
- Slice one of the onions in very thin slices. Finely chop the other onion.
- Mash the garlic with the salt to make a paste.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a medium sauce pan. Add chopped onions and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onions are translucent.
- Puree the two cans of Rotel Mexican Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.
- Add pureed Rotel, chicken broth, chili powder and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in instant rice and sliced onions.
- Cover and let stand over very low heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
Fantastic recipe! HUGE compliments from everyone in my family! I used 3-10 oz cans of Ro-Tel tomatoes and vegetable oil instead of bacon grease and it was outstanding! I thought 2 small onions seemed like it would be too much so I only used 1 1/2, but in the future I will use the full amount. I'm going to try adding chicken, shrimp and/or andouille the next time to make it a main dish. Simple and Delicious!!
This is a great reciepe! Chef Howe is a Master Chef...The flavors are outstanding!!! I followed the whole reciepe and my family just loved it. I used two 10 oz cans of hot Rotel and added jalepenos. Thank you for this reciepe!
This is one of the first recipes I've tried from the site, the instructions were straightforward, and the results turned out wonderfully well. I made it as an accompaniment for barbecue ribs and the man of the house went back for thirds. I used regular long grain rice and cooked the whole lot together in the microwave after cooking the onion mix. Superb!